Wednesday, December 05, 2001

Ode to my Sting Ray! ( A half decade of fun)


Five years ago, while wandering the SoHo flea market, I found a really swell bike. It was a 1970's Sting Ray...blue with a glittery blue and silver banana seat and 5 speeds. As soon as I sat on it, I knew it was MY bike. I bought it for a mere $35 and ironically had to shell out $90 for a good lock.

I had such adventures on my Sting Ray. It's front end was a bit light which made for unintended and fierce "wheelies". I had a few near wipe-outs, but was never hurt and became very adept at handling it. The sting ray was a looker and the power to cause nostalgia. It has come be known as the "babe magnet" in my social circle as I get stopped several times a day while riding it. Mostly by fellas wo exclaim with boyish dreamy-eyed nostalgia, "I had a bike JUST like that". That recurrent scene was worth a LOT more than the 35 dollar I spent, believe me! I often thought of making a bet just moments prior to one of these events...I wanted to say, "bet you 5 bucks I know what you're going to say", then "I had a bike just like that". (Ka-ching) I could have cashed in!

This evening I left my office to find my sting ray had been stolen - lock and all! The Buddhist fruit vendor told me that some guy took it with what looked like a key and didn't realize it was being stolen. I walked home. It took 1 1/2 hours. When I reached Canal St, one of the state troopers yelled, "Hey Wendy...where's your bike!?!?" You may find it strange that he knew by name, but it had everything to do with the sting ray. He too fell victim to it's secret power in early october as I passed his check point each morning. He's been stationed there since 9/11.
When I told him that it was stolen, he was quite upset and swore if he saw it, he would steal it back for me.

The likelihood of such a thing is rare, I know. Yet is a unique bike and I've yet to see another like it anywhere. So, for those of you familiar with the "babe magnet", please keep an eye out for it. Call me with he exact location and then call the police. They already have a report.

I just got home and put my helmet away...there is a big, sad, empty "parking spot" in my walk-in closet. I can't say that I blame the thief for stealing it...he probably fell victim to it's spell too...just as I did a half a decade ago.

There are two possible happy endings to this story:
1. The sting ray turns up under some kid's xmas tree and spreads the loooove.
2. Or that i find it and steal it back!

*The above photo was taken on Thanksgiving Day. I had dinner with my friends, Dan & Roger in Greenwich Village. I was to nervous about taking the train out to LI to see family. It seemed like the whole city was on holiday and there were hardly any cars. I rode my bike right down the middle of the street.