Saturday, September 12, 2020

19 Years Later

Nineteen years ago FEMA was on the ground helping survivors of the terrorist attack outside my door.  Today I'm working for FEMA.  In some ways it feels like giving back.  I have a sense of what the survivors are going through.  While our disasters are different, I understand the shock.  One survivor told me that she hasn't been eating.  I remembered this.  I said, "because you are not getting the hunger cues, right?"  "YEA!", she said, " and started to cry".  I told her that it's from the shock, but it will come back.  I directed her to a crisis hotline and said, "if you wake up at 3 am...there will always be someone to talk to".   "How did you know", she asked.  I said, "I'm a survivor too...call this number when you wake up".  She was grateful, and I was grateful to go the extra mile for her.  To go beyond just giving her a status update on her account, but to listen deeply and hear what she needed.

There are so many sad stories. 
I hold them all in my heart beside my own. 

Still, I avoid social media on this day, except to touch base and let loved ones know I'm ok.
I don't want to see the tribute photos.
I have my own...
I saw things I will never forget.

Be generous with your embrace,
W